Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Life as a Blondie...

Just a few months ago, I changed my hair color for the first time. I have been a blonde all 28 years of my life and decided it was time for a change. I went darker, not too dark, but a nice caramel color. Most people said I was still blonde, although it didn't seem like it to me. Anyways, that's not the point. The point is that I love me some brownies, but it was time to test my hand at blondies...I mean, afterall, they do have more fun, right? I found this recipe at both Joelen's Culinary Adventures and Amber's Delectable Delights. They had different sources listed but the recipes were very similar. Check them out to see both of their recipes...one used caramel and one used white chocolate. Here is what I did:


Chocolate Butterscotch Blondies

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Then line the pan with parchment paper (one going long ways and the other laying perpendicular across the first one). This will help with the removal of the bars. Then spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.

Whisk the melted butter and brown sugar together in a medium bowl until comined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold the morsles (choc chip and butterscotch) and the nuts and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.

Bake until the top is shiny and cracked and feels firm to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Place the pan on a rack and cool completely.

**Highly recommend serving warm with some caramel swirl ice cream on the side