Monday, May 19, 2008

The love of my life...in pie form!


Mmmm mmmm good...chocolate chess pie! Although this was made along with the other desserts for the baby shower, this deserves a post all of its own. Why? Because I said so, that's why! Just kidding. This is my favorite pie of all time. It's so simple but I just love it...to eat it, of course. I've never made it until now but my great-aunt Jeanne always hooks me up when I'm visiting the fam in VA. It's a southern pie...or at least that's what I like to think. Since I do enjoy it so much, why not try my hand at it...one call to her and I had the recipe. It was one of the easiest things I've ever made....but I was so nervous that it wouldn't turn out like hers...oh but it did and I was so happy about that. I had no idea that something so good would be so simple. What are the things I love most about it? The not too-sweetness, the ooey gooey chocolate texture, the way it melts in my mouth. I've never had it with ice cream on the side but I swear I'm going to try that one day soon. So, here goes...I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

How could you not want some of this??


Aunt Jeanne's Chocolate Chess Pie


1 9" single pie crust
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 stick of butter (I used light)
2 eggs
1 small can of evaporated milk (5-6 oz)
1 tsp of vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Mix cocoa with sugar; add melted (but cooled) butter and stir well. Mix in 2 eggs, then evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat for 5-6 minutes. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake on 350 for 40 minutes or until set in middle. Let cool and chill until ready to serve. It's best served chilled.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, could you pass a slice of that pie over to me??!! Just found your blog on the TWD - welcome! However I am going to steal your pie recipe and try it. I'll let you know how it comes out!!!

bethanyjg said...

YAY! I love this pie. It looks so, so good. Thanks for posting this recipe - I sent it to my mom and she said she's been looking for it forever. Truly a southern pie! :)

Kira said...

Oh wow! DH would absolutely love this. We were talking about whether I could find a good chocolate chess pie recipe. Can't wait to try it!