Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Good Ol Comfort Food



So, I bought all of the ingredients for chicken pot pie over a week ago and never got around to making it before Mike left town for the week. His flight arrived at 5 p.m. on Saturday so I prepared the pot pie and stuck it in the fridge before leaving to pick him up. When we got home, I popped it in the oven. I can't ever remember how I make it from one time to the next so this time I found a basic recipe online and went from there. I had a few mishaps, like usual and thought that my pot pie was ruined. I must have let the pie crust get a little too comfortable at room temperature because when I went to remove the one to put on the top, it crumbled in my hands. I was devastated. I didn't give up and just pieced it together.. no need to make any slits in the top, there were already several. Not the prettiest thing I've ever seen but.... It was delicious and we love having the leftovers too. The recipe came from AllRecipes and you can find it here. The one below is exactly how I made it which differs slightly from the original.

Chicken Pot Pie

2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups frozen peas/carrots
2 cups potatoes (I used 4-5 red potatoes, peeled and cubed)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion (I used 1/2 large shallot which was exactly 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium)
2/3 cup milk (I used fat free)
2 9" unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a saucepan, combine chicken, potatoes, peas and carrots. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

In the saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions in the butter until soft and translucent. Slowly stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place half of the chicken mixture in bottom of pie crust. Pour half of hot mixture over. Then repeat one more time. Cover with the top crust, seal the edges and cut away excess dough if necessary. Make several small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: