Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Cran-Mandarin Salad....with Chicken


Dig In!
All of the pretty ingredients before tossing it al together.

I first had this salad at our recent Tampa Cooking Club night about a week ago. Amber hosted and she served this salad alongside Tuna topped with Mango Salsa and orzo. I was hooked! So, I made it 2 days later for dinner at a friend's house. And now another 2 days later, I made it again. Yea, it's that good! Tonight it was just me eating, so I just made a small amount. It seems to be even better when you make it as a big salad and toss it all together. Here is what I used for the big salad and then I just scaled it down for a personal sized one. Oh, I also cooked up some chicken breast cutlets in a saute pan with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika to throw in there. The salad is just as delicious withuot the chicken. The pictures do this salad no justice because you can't see all the yumminess that is tossed around in it. And I think it turns out prettier when you actually chop up the lettuce, but I was too lazy this time.

Romaine or bibb lettuce, chopped
Green onion, finely chopped (I used 3/4 of a bundle)
Celery, finely chopped (I used 4-5 full stalks)
Crumbled goat cheese
Craisins
Grape tomatoes, quartered

Candied Pecans, finely chopped

1 can of mandarin oranges

For the dressing:
1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of brown sugar
A few drops of hot sauce (we like a few more!)

Candied Pecans:
In a sauce pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter/margarine over low to med heat; add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 2 tbsp of brown sugar; stir for a few minutes until well coated; remove and cool completely. Yum!




No comments: