Monday, September 22, 2008

Everyting Jamaican Mon!




Terrible title for the post, I know. What really matters is the recipe so please try to ignore that title, ok? I had this meat dish recently at my friend Brooke's house. It was so different and I was excited to try it out. This was the last dinner I made for our guests and it really went over well...I love how the different flavors come together. I served it with crashed hot potatoes and broccoli with cheese. Delish!


Jamaican Steak
2 lbs beef flank steak
1/4 c packed brown sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp lime juice
1 piece (1 1/2" x 1") fresh ginger, minced (I used 1 tsp of ground ginger)
2 tsp grated orange peel (I omitted)
2 tsp grated lime peel (I omitted)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine sugar, juices, garlic, ginger, peels, salt/pepper, cinnamon and cloves in baking dish. Add beef, turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate to marinate.

2 options for cooking (I chose to grill):
Grill for 6 mins on each side or
Bake on 375 for 40 mins then let sit for 10 mins

Crashed Hot Potatoes

small, round potatoes with skin left on (red potatoes or small Yukons work well)
olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 450. Add the potatoes to a large pan of salted water. Bring to the boil. Simmer briskly for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked. Remove potatoes from the pan and place on a baking tray. Using a masher or the back of a big spoon, gently squish each potato until they are half intact, half broken up. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a very hot (450) oven for 20 minutes. I added some shredded cheddar cheese about five minutes before they were done, and served with sour cream.

No comments: