Sunday, January 17, 2010

So simple...sooo good!

Last night, Lani & Chad called and invited themselves over after dinner. :-) Since we both had plans of just staying home and relaxing, we decided why not do it all together. So, I said I needed to come up with a quick dessert we could have. Lani found this recipe and emailed it over to me...and surprisingly, I had all of the ingredients on hand. When they got here, she and I made it together and threw it in the oven. It turned out awesome. It was very easy to make and it was delicious. We had it with vanilla lowfat frozen yogurt. I will definitely make this again.


Mixed Berry Crisp
Source: Epicurious

2 - 12oz bags of frozen mixed berries, unthawed (I used one 16 oz bag)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tbsp lemon juice (omitted because I didn't have)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (omitted)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
7 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, diced (I used light)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and lemon juice in a large bowl; toss to blend well. Transfer berry mixture to 9" glass pie dish. Combine remaining 3/4 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until topping holds together in small moist clumps. Sprinkle over berry mixture.

Bake until berry mixture bubbles thickly and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour (I baked for 45 minutes). Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. **top with vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

frozen berries, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla yoghurt. YUMS!